Home schooling in NSW
Home schooling, also called home education, is education delivered in a child’s home by a parent or guardian, under the Education Act 1990.
Home schooling allows a parent or guardian to integrate the NSW curriculum with the learning processes that occur naturally in the home throughout a child's development.
Parents or guardians who are home schooling a child accept responsibility for developing, implementing and evaluating their child's learning program. Registration with the Board of Studies NSW is a legal requirement for home schooling while a child is of compulsory school age and not enrolled in a school.
The Home Education information Package provides further information about home schooling and may help to decide if this form of education is appropriate for you and your child.
- Home Education Information Package (PDF)
- Updated October 2011
Home schooling registration
To apply for or renew registration for home schooling, complete the appropriate form below and return it to the Home Education Unit at the Board of Studies NSW
- Form 1
- Application for Initial Registration (or Exemption from Registration) for Home Schooling (Word)
- Form 2
- Application for Renewal of Registration (or Exemption from Registration) for Home Schooling (Word)
- Form 4
- Application for Certification of Completion of Year 10 (Word)
- Home Education Unit
- The Board of Studies NSW
- Phone: 02 9367 8149
- PO Box 5300, Sydney, NSW 2001