- New Stage 6 syllabuses for English, Mathematics, Science and History for implementation from 2018 are now available on the NSW Syllabuses website.
The NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) Stage 6 syllabuses describe the Preliminary and HSC courses to be taught within each subject that may be undertaken as part of the HSC pattern of study. All schools are required to deliver programs of study that comply with the requirements of NESA syllabuses, including coverage of all the essential content of the NESA syllabuses.
Schools have discretion to offer courses beyond the NESA curriculum. If individual schools choose to teach material not approved or endorsed by NESA, it must be made clear to students that this material is additional to and not part of the relevant NESA syllabus and will not be tested in any public examination conducted by NESA.
Students should understand that such material, therefore, would not be considered relevant in any response they write for Higher School Certificate examinations. Such material is not to be set as part of school-based assessment of NESA syllabuses that contributes to the Higher School Certificate assessment.The teaching of any religious, ideological or philosophical beliefs that are not in conflict with these constraints and are not otherwise contrary to the requirements of the Education Act is a matter for the school and the school community. Contact: KLA Inspector Ph: +61 2 9367 8111
Board Developed Courses
- HSC English Extension 1
- HSC English Extension 2
- English as a Second Language
- Fundamentals of English
HSIE (Human Society and Its Environment)
- Aboriginal Studies
- Ancient History
- Business Studies
- HSC History Extension
- Legal Studies
- Modern History
- Society and Culture
- Studies of Religion
- Design and Technology
- Engineering Studies
- Food Technology
- Industrial Technology
- Information Processes and Technology
- Software Design and Development
- Textiles and Design
- Languages and Literature courses
- Languages Beginners courses
- Languages Continuers courses
- Languages Extension courses
- Languages in Context courses
- Creative Arts Life Skills
- Community and Family Studies Life Skills
- English Life Skills
- Human Society and Its Environment Life Skills
- Mathematics Life Skills
- Personal Development, Health and Physical Education Life Skills
- Science Life Skills
- Technology Life Skills
- Work and the Community Life Skills
Content Endorsed Courses
VET Board Endorsed Courses
- Available in a broad range of industry areas. For further information see the VET Board Endorsed Courses page.
School Developed Board Endorsed Courses – Guidelines for Course Proposals
Guidelines for Course Proposals on the new NESA site.
University Developed Board Endorsed Courses – Guidelines and Application Form
Board Endorsed Alternative Education Program
Organisations seeking to deliver a Board Endorsed Alternative Education Program need to apply for endorsement of the course. Guidelines and further information is available from the Equivalent and Alternative Courses of Study page.
An important part of the our continuous improvement program is feedback from teachers, students and other interested people. To give your view on syllabus and other curriculum matters, complete the Syllabus Feedback Form.