Home schooling in NSW
Under the Education Act 1990 home schooling is education delivered in a child’s home by a parent or guardian.
Home schooling allows a parent or guardian to integrate the NSW curriculum with the learning processes that occur naturally in the home throughout a child's development.
Parents or guardians who are home schooling a child are responsible for developing and implementing their child's educational program and assessing their child's program. Registration with the Board of Studies, Teaching and Educational Standards NSW (BOSTES) is a legal requirement for home schooling while a child is of compulsory school age and not enrolled in a school.
The Registration for Home Schooling in NSW – Information Package provides further information about home schooling and may help to decide if this form of education is appropriate for you and your child.
- Registration for Home Schooling in NSW – Information Package (PDF)
- Updated August 2013
- Information package questions and answers
- Updated November 2014
Home schooling registration - application forms
To apply for or renew registration for home schooling, complete the appropriate form below and return it to the Home Schooling Unit at the BOSTES.
- Form 1
- Application for Initial Registration (or Exemption from Registration) for Home Schooling (PDF)
- Form 2
- Application for Renewal of Registration (or Exemption from Registration) for Home Schooling (PDF)
- Form 3
- Application for Certification of Completion of Year 10 (PDF)
- Home Schooling Unit
- Phone: 02 9367 8149
- PO Box 5300, Sydney, NSW 2001
Consultation – Information Package
Currently, the BOSTES is conducting a consultation process in relation to the Registration for Home Schooling in NSW – Information Package.
The consultation process includes an online survey and state-wide consultation meetings.
The survey is available on the BOSTES website. Access the online survey
The survey will close on Thursday 30 June 2016.
To view details of the consultation meetings and register your attendance:
- Consultation Meeting – Armidale
- Consultation Meeting – Albury
- Consultation Meeting – Broken Hill
- Consultation Meeting – Coffs Harbour, Woolgoolga
- Consultation Meeting – Gosford
- Consultation Meeting – Lismore, Goonellabah
- Consultation Meeting – Merimbula
- Consultation Meeting – Newcastle
- Consultation Meeting – Orange
- Consultation Meeting – Shoalhaven, Worrigee
- Consultation Meeting – Sydney, Bankstown
- Consultation Meeting – Sydney, Penrith
- Consultation Meeting – Sydney, West Ryde
- Consultation Meeting – Wagga Wagga
Authorised Persons Handbook
The Authorised Persons Handbook provides guidance for Authorised Persons in relation to assessing applications for home schooling.
Home Schooling Consultative Group
BOSTES NSW has established the Home Schooling Consultative Group with members including home schooling representatives. Read more about the Home Schooling Consultative Group.
Read about the consultation process for the revision of the 2013 Registration for Home Schooling in NSW Information Package.