Record of School Achievement (RoSA)
From 2012, eligible students who leave school before receiving their Higher School Certificate (HSC) will receive the NSW Record of School Achievement (RoSA).
The RoSA is a cumulative credential in that it allows students to accumulate their academic results until they leave school.
The RoSA records completed Stage 5 and Preliminary Stage 6 courses and grades, and participation in any uncompleted Preliminary Stage 6 courses.
It is of specific use to students leaving school prior to the HSC.
To assist teachers, the Board of Studies, Teaching and Educational Standards NSW (BOSTES) has created a RoSA PowerPoint and a RoSA Kit which contains a brochure, a flyer on the voluntary Literacy and Numeracy tests, a template letter for schools to advise parents about the tests, and template editorial on the tests for inclusion in school newsletters.
Any time a student or school wants an up-to-date snapshot of a student’s academic progress, a transcript called a Student eRecord can be accessed via Schools Online or Students Online and printed or emailed.
Students who go on to complete the HSC will see all their Stage 6 (Year 11 and 12) courses and results on their HSC.
More information for students is available in the students section.
If you are a parent or an employer, you will find specific information at parents and employers.
Key dates and actions
See the HSC and RoSA timetable of actions for schools for a list of all the ‘actions’ related to Year 10, Year 11 and Year 12 students. Subscribe to the Board Bulletin to keep up-to-date with the latest RoSA news and actions.
- Teachers should submit grades for all courses students complete in Stage 5 and the Preliminary courses they complete in Stage 6.
- Schools will be advised of the submission dates for Year 10 and Year 11 grades each year.
- For information to support Stage 5 and Preliminary course grading see awarding, moderating and monitoring grades.
The RoSA records all courses a student has completed, along with the grade awarded, and any Stage 6 (Preliminary) courses in which the student has satisfactorily participated but not completed at the date of leaving school.
For further information, visit:
If you have any questions about the RoSA that are not answered here, please contact your local Board of Studies Liaison Officer.
For more information, read:
- Media release from the Minister for Education (PDF) 13 December 2012
- Media release from the Minister for Education (PDF) 16 February 2012
- Implementing a proposed NSW Record of School Achievement (PDF) 7 November 2011
- Media release from the Minister for Education (PDF) 4 August 2011
- Board of Studies School Certificate Discussion Paper (PDF) June 2011