Record of School Achievement (RoSA)
Eligible students who leave school before receiving their Higher School Certificate (HSC) will receive the NSW Record of School Achievement (RoSA).
The RoSA is a cumulative credential in that it allows students to accumulate their academic results until they leave school.
The RoSA records completed Stage 5 and Preliminary Stage 6 courses and grades, and participation in any uncompleted Preliminary Stage 6 courses.
It is of specific use to students leaving school prior to the HSC.
To assist teachers, the Board of Studies, Teaching and Educational Standards NSW (BOSTES) has created a RoSA PowerPoint and a RoSA Kit which contains a brochure, a flyer on the voluntary Literacy and Numeracy tests, a template letter for schools to advise parents about the tests, and template editorial on the tests for inclusion in school newsletters.
Any time a student or school wants an up-to-date snapshot of a student’s academic progress, a transcript called a Student eRecord can be accessed via Schools Online or Students Online and printed or emailed.
Students who go on to complete the HSC will see all their Stage 6 (Year 11 and 12) courses and results on their HSC.
More information for students is available in the students section.
If you are a parent or an employer, you will find specific information at parents and employers.
Key dates and actions
See the 2016 BOSTES timetable of actions for schools for a list of all the ‘actions’ related to Year 10, Year 11 and Year 12 students. Subscribe to the Board Bulletin to keep up-to-date with the latest RoSA news and actions.
- Teachers should submit grades for all courses students complete in Stage 5 and the Preliminary courses they complete in Stage 6.
- Schools will be advised of the submission dates for Year 10 and Year 11 grades each year.
- For information to support Stage 5 and preliminary course grading see awarding, moderating and monitoring grades
- For information to assist with Year 11 grading, see the section on Year 11 grades.
The RoSA records all courses a student has completed, along with the grade awarded, and any Stage 6 (Preliminary) courses in which the student has satisfactorily participated but not completed at the date of leaving school.
For further information, visit:
If you have any questions about the RoSA that are not answered here, please contact your local Board of Studies Liaison Officer.
For more information, read:
- Media release from the Minister for Education (PDF) 13 December 2012
- Media release from the Minister for Education (PDF) 16 February 2012
- Implementing a proposed NSW Record of School Achievement (PDF) 7 November 2011
- Media release from the Minister for Education (PDF) 4 August 2011
- Board of Studies School Certificate Discussion Paper (PDF) June 2011